San Antonio Felony Attorney
Felony crimes are the most serious offenses in the state of Texas. Regardless of whether you’re being investigated for a felony or have been arrested and charged, you could face extensive jail time and large fines. Furthermore, a felony offense on your criminal record could hurt your chances of getting a job and make life extremely difficult for you and your family. However, even after being charged with a felony, you still have rights. One of these rights is to have a criminal defense attorney represent you in a court of law.
The Cabanas Law Firm has been providing highly skilled criminal defense in San Antonio since 2007. We’ve represented individuals facing a wide range of felony charges, which means we know what it takes to build a unique defense plan for any case. Our team will fight hard to protect your rights and have your charges reduced or dropped. Call us at (210) 446-4090 today.
Felony Charges in the State of Texas
There are five levels of felony crimes in the state of Texas. Each level carries a different set of penalties based on the severity of the crime or value of stolen goods.
- State Jail Felony – This involves property theft valued between $1,500 and $20,000. A state felony jail charge could also include check forgery, evading police, criminally negligent homicide, DWI with an underage passenger, or white-collar fraud. These felonies are punishable by 180 days to two years in jail, and a $10,000 fine.
- Third-Degree Felony – This involves property theft valued between $20,000 and $100,000. Other third-degree felonies include intoxication assault, tampering with evidence, stalking, deadly conduct with a firearm, DWI (third offense), aggravated perjury, and jumping bail. These felonies are punishable by two to 10 years in prison, and a $10,000 fine.
- Second-Degree Felony – This involves property theft valued between $100,000 and $200,000. Other second-degree felonies include aggravated assault, reckless injury to a child, intoxication manslaughter, marijuana possession of between 50 and 2,000 pounds, arson, sexual assault, and online solicitation of a minor. These felonies are punishable by two to 20 years in prison, and a $10,000 fine.
- First-Degree Felony – This involves property theft valued at $200,000 or more. Other first-degree felonies include aggravated sexual assault, aggravated robbery, attempted murder, serious bodily injury to a disabled person, aggravated kidnapping, arson resulting in death, and human trafficking of minors below the age of 14. These felonies are punishable by five to 99 years in prison, and a $10,000 fine.
- Capital Felony – This is the highest level felony charge and includes premeditated capital murder. These felonies are punishable by life in prison or death.
It’s important to understand that each felony case is different. When you retain the Cabanas Law Firm, we’ll perform an extensive investigation. We’ll determine if the police made procedural errors or violated your rights during your arrest. If you were falsely accused, we’ll speak to witnesses, examine evidence, and fight hard in front of a judge and jury to get the charges dropped. We can also negotiate a plea bargain to have the charges reduced with the intention of avoiding a jail sentence.
Contact a Felony Offense Lawyer in San Antonio
If you’ve been charged with a felony crime, you need a criminal attorney who’s not afraid to fight hard for your rights. You also need someone with extensive experience navigating the Texas criminal justice system. At the Cabanas Law Firm, our legal team has the knowledge and resources needed to build a strong defense for your case to have your felony charges dropped or reduced. Contact us today at (210) 446-4090 to set up a consultation.